All Kent residents 18 years or older MUST file a City of Kent income tax return, even if no tax is owed. Persons who are retired need to file a final return and write “retired” on it. No further returns will be due unless the retiree returns to work. Income tax returns are due (must be postmarked on or by) Wednesday, April 15th 2020. Returns received after April 15 will be considered late and may be subject to a penalty, even if no tax is due. “Resident” is defined as an individual whose legal residence is in Kent or who lived in Kent for 30 days or more in any 90-day period during the 2019 calendar year.
The following people MUST file income tax returns and pay any tax due, even if they are non-residents:
- Persons who own rental property in Kent
- Persons who operate a business in Kent
- Real estate agents who work for brokers in Kent, even if they sold no property in Kent
- Anyone who receives salary, wages, commissions, or other compensation for work done or services rendered in Kent, if the full amount of Kent’s 2.25% income tax has not been withheld from that compensation.
Certain types of income are not taxable. These types include.
- Interest, Dividends, Active military pay, Pensions, Social security, Workers compensation, Unemployment benefits, Welfare payments, Medicare
To file your City of Kent return with the Regional Income Tax Agency (RITA) for Residents and Businesses, RITA has the following FREE online services. RITA E-File: A quick, easy and secure way to file your municipal income taxes online with RITA
Income Tax Division personnel will assist you with your Kent City Income Tax Returns at NO charge. The Income Tax Division is located at the Service Administration Complex at 930 Overholt Road. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 am until 4:30 pm. If you wish assistance with your Kent City Income Tax Return, please bring all necessary tax documents, such as W-2’s, 1099’s, Schedule C, Schedule E etc., with you to the Income Tax Division. If you have any questions please call the Income Tax Division at 330.678.8103.